Monday, April 27, 2009

David Carson // helvetica // "grunge" era

Carson is considered one of the most influential graphic designers of the nineties. when doing my own work, I really like to use different fonts to express what the piece is about or exaggerate what the words are trying to say and it seems like Carson does that very well. The author of this article seems to be annoyed by Carson's work. I guess some people just want everything standardized! The first picture I posted is from a 1994 Ray Gun magazine which Carson was the art director for. Carson decided that because the article he had to print in the magazine was so boring he would print the entire thing in dingbats, which is hilarious and creative at the same time. The next two posts are just spreads out of the Ray Gun magazine that I think best exemplify Carson's work. The last post is of the cover of Carson's 4th book, Trek, that was released in 2000.


No comments:

Post a Comment